Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Google Drawings and Frame Games

I love word puzzles!  I played them with my granddad when I was a child.  I have had this book from Scholastic for years...PGD (Pre-Google Days).


I found it again while sorting out a box of old books, and instantly I thought of Google Drawings and Slides!  I am always trying to come up with new ways to use Google tools in the classroom.  I love using Google Slides for collaborative projects, book writing, bell-ringers, and journaling, but why couldn't students create, share, and solve Frame Games via Slides?  

What, exactly, is a Frame Game?  I know these word puzzles have many names, but they are simply puzzles that combine letters, numbers, and pictures to express well-known phrases, names, places, and song titles (Stickels, 2003).

I started a Slide deck below, and I have given you editing rights.  Follow the link to add another slide with your own puzzle.  My examples took less than five minutes each.  Students could create a puzzle and could use the comment tool to solve other students' puzzles.  




When I used these puzzles in the classroom, I shared a puzzle a day for several days and let students guess the answers.  After we had solved several examples I asked the students to create their own.  These could revolve around content vocabulary, particular concepts, etc.  I can even imagine using these to express common idioms.  Students could solve and explain the meaning of the idiom via comments!  

Use Google Classroom to push out one shared Slide deck to all students, give them editing rights. and you are ready to let their puzzling minds create!

What other ways have you used Google Slides or Drawings in the Classroom?  We would love to hear your ideas! Please share in the comments below.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There! Share Your Genius with Us!