Friday, January 6, 2017

MakerSpaces - Get Started in 2017!

I am a Maker.  I have been since I was very young, and I am so thankful my family encouraged (or at least tolerated) my need to create.  If you think about it, all of our kiddos start out with creative and curious spirits.  In my personal opinion, for whatever that's worth, we, as adults, slowly whittle away that creative spirit in them.  We don't do it intentionally, but it comes with the territory.  As teachers, we sometimes tell our kids how we expect them to answer, what we expect them to produce...even how to think.

Don't fret, though!  We also have the power to ignite creativity and curiosity in our students while we are teaching the content we need to cover.  We just need a shift in thinking, or possibly just to bring back to mind what we already know.  Over the next few weeks, Teacher Tech Cafe will be sharing ways you can bring about the shift, and we're going to start with MakerSpaces.

What exactly is a MakerSpace?

     There is not one right answer.  The design of your MakerSpace may look completely different from mine, but they have one thing in common...they exist to allow creativity and exploration to happen.  Drop in daily next week to explore simple ways to bring making into your classroom/school.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey There! Share Your Genius with Us!